Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Recipe 14: The Ultimate Submarine Sandwich

Whenever anyone asks me what my favorite food is, my answer is always the same: sandwiches. From hamburgers, to open faced roastbeef, to clubs.

Far and above all, my favorite sandwich is the submarine. When we lived in New York, my dad would take us kids to West Point to watch the Army/Navy football games. I remember one time in particular when we stopped at a sub shop and I had my first submarine sandwich. This was probably in the late 1970s. I've been hooked ever since.

Having limited places to get a good sub, and being a little picky about my sandwiches, I've resorted to just making my own.

Here is my recipe for making a pretty decent sub. The ingredients are listed below:

3 rolls
6-9 slices genoa salami
6-9 slices hard salami
6-9 slices German bologna
6-9 slices honey ham
6-9 slices provolone cheese
1 tomato, sliced
shredded lettuce (approximately 1 cup)
1/8 green pepper, sliced
1/8 red onion, sliced
dill pickle slices
sweet salad peppers
sweet jalepeno peppers
black olives
mayo
mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
dash of salt and pepper



Step 1: Slice rolls, but not all the way through. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Place rolls in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes. They will probably be done before the oven is heated. You want them warm on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside. I recommend slicing the bread BEFORE you heat it. It keeps the bread from clumping when you cut it.


Step 2: Chop the lettuce and slice the tomato, green pepper, and onion.


Step 3: Mix together the oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.


Step 4: Take the bread out of oven and open them up. Place meat, cheese, and veggies on the rolls, in that order. Spread mayo on the inside top of the roll. Drizzle mustard and dressing over the sandwich fillings.



Step 5: Use a long knife to help push back all of the filling as you close the sandwich. Cut in half. Add a green olive on a tooth pick to form a periscope if you want to have some fun...


Hope you enjoy it!

Sorry for not having any Thanksgiving recipes this week. With the baby coming around Thanksgiving Day, I think I am just going to let my dad and my mother-in-law do all the cooking. I'm taking a break.

Hope you all have a great holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment