Monday, November 15, 2010

Recipe 13: Cheesy Rib Eye Sandwich

One thing my wife has consistently been craving during this pregnancy is Philly cheese steak sandwiches. I've been sent out to pick up many cheese steak orders and have made plenty of steak-um sandwiches over the past eight and a half months.

After cooking 2 ribeye steaks for dinner last week (one is enough for 2 people, by the way), we had a lot of leftover steak. The next day, my wife asked me to make it into a sandwich for her. Since I'm a nice, loving husband, I did as requested. She loved it and promptly took out another steak to defrost for the next day... Needless to say, I am going to be making plenty of sandwiches before this kid comes into the world. Or at least until the freezer is empty.

If you ever find yourself with left over steak, here is a simple recipe. The ingredients are below:

left over, cooked steak
chopped red onion (approximately 1 cup)
chopped green pepper (approximately 1 cup)
2 tablespoons butter
4-5 slices of provolone cheese
2 french sandwich rolls
salt
pepper

Step 1: Heat 1 to 2 teaspoons of butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and green pepper. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Saute until onions start to turn brown.


Step 2: Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice rolls without cutting all the way through. Add to oven while it preheats. Leave in for 7 to 10 minutes. The rolls should be ready before the oven reaches 350. You just want them warm on the inside and a little crispy on the outside.


Step 3: Thinly slice the steak and add to skillet. Add a dash of salt to the meat. Mix well and cook until meat is heated through.


Step 4: 30 seconds before you are ready to remove the steak, cover steak mixture with slices of provolone cheese. Let it melt slightly, then and remove from heat.


Step 5: Open rolls and stuff the cheese, steak, and vegetables inside. Close roll and cut in half.


Keep plenty of napkins handy!

Ok, enjoy this recipe and I'll be back soon!

--------------------

I decided to add this blog early because the baby's due any time now. I planned to do a Thanksgiving Day recipe for next week, but that will likely not happen. I have another recipe I made last week, that I will probably write tonight or tomorrow and post in the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment