Monday, November 1, 2010

Recipe 10: Basic, But Yummy, Marinara Sauce

This recipe for marinara sauce came from America's Test Kitchen, on PBS. My wife saw it on Tv one day, and wrote it all down. I didn't make any modifications to it, expect for cutting the garlic amount in half. It's an extremely delicious sauce. I've told my wife that I'd like to add sausage or meatballs to it, but we love the sauce just like it is... so I left it alone. For now, anyway.

Here are the ingredients:

1/4 cup grated onion
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 clove of garlic* (1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic). 
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2-3 teaspoons dried basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt
black pepper



*The original recipe called for 2 cloves of garlic. I just found this too strong for my stomach.

Step 1: Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Added grated onion and oregano and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are caramelized.


Step 2: Add garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook for 30 seconds. Then add tomatoes and sugar. Turn up heat to bring sauce to a boil. Then cover and simmer at medium/low heat for 10 minutes.


Step 3: Remove from heat. Add oil, basil, and a small palm full (approximately 1/2 teaspoon) each of salt and pepper. Stir well.


Step 4: Pour 1/2 of the sauce on your choice of pasta and mix well. Then top each plate with additional sauce.


It's great on spaghetti noodles with a small side salad and garlic bread.

My 2-1/2 year old loves it too, but she'll only eat it a certain way. I'll blog about that next time.

Enjoy! And thanks, America's Test Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment