Friday, September 10, 2010

Recipe 3: Cucumber Hummus Pepper Pita

This is a Steve original. During hot summer days, I make this for my wife and I. It's great with a side of chickpea salad, which I'll post next week, hopefully.

It's a very simple and light, yet delicious meal. I tried to create a dish that combined 2 of my favorites: Greek salad and sandwiches.

Below are the ingredients. This is for one serving.

1 whole wheat pita
1/4 large cucumber
1/4 red pepper
1 to 2 teaspoons of sliced olives
1 to 2 teaspoons of feta cheese or sliced/diced provolone.
Italian seasoning
2 to 3 teaspoons of plain hummus
1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 to 2 teaspoons red wine Vinegar


Step 1: Cut pita in half, wrap it in a paper towel and heat in microwave oven for 15-20 seconds. This helps it separate better when you try to open up the pocket. Let it cool.


Step 2: Chop the cucumber and pepper. Put into a small bowl.


Step 3: Add a teaspoon or so of olive slices, then sprinkle on a dash of Italian spices. Drizzle with a little oil and vinegar. Just enough to coat. Add a little cheese. Stir.


Step 4: Spread hummus on the inside of the pita slices.


Step 5: Spoon cucumber mixture into pita slices and enjoy.



That’s it. Very quick and simple to make. You can add red onion to it, if you want to give it more bite. Please let me know if you try it. 

Kalí óreksi!

1 comment: